ECDE flagship projects
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION & ICT
(a) DIRECTORATE ECDE FLAGSHIP PROJECTS
The following Nyamira County ECDE Flagship Projects are completed and are awaiting
to be equipped with furniture and other materials in order for them to be
commissioned for use by Nyamira ECDE learners. They include:
1. Ibara – Kiabonyoru ward
2. Nyagacho – Mekenene ward
3. Nyambogo – Manga ward
4. Makairo – Bogichora ward
Other flagship projects in various wards in the county are about to be completed.
(b) DIRECTORATE OF VOCATIONAL EDUCATION & TRAINING
To provide skilled and globally competitive employable human resource
To maximize full potential of the youth through participatory engagement that serves their needs and aspirations in building a better county.
The Directorate of Vocational Education and Training is mandated to empower the youth through:
- The provision of appropriate and quality Vocational and Technical Training in Vocational Training Centres.
- Development of policy guidelines for Vocational Training Centres
- Integrate ICT in TIVET.
- Promote health leaving among youths through live skill training in Vocational Training Centers
- Promote Environmental Conservation Education Programmes in Vocational Training Centres
- Promote co-curricular activities in Vocational Training centers through sports and drama
- To improve youth participation in decision making process
- T develop and strengthen entrepreneurship, leadership and live skills among the youth
- To develop and review the training policy
- To equip youth with relevant skills, knowledge and attitudes for the labour market.
- To improve transition within the education system and address needs of marginalized youth
- To support and strengthen alternative learning systems
In order to realize the above objectives, the Directorate of Vocational Education and Training has embarked on several intervention measures which include;
- Development of market driven Vocational Training Curricular
- Rehabilitation of physical facilities of Vocational Training Centres
- Provision of Tools and Equipment to Vocational Training Centres
- Provision of pre-service and in-service training programs for Vocational Training Centre instructors in areas of pedagogy.
- Provision of quality and control mechanisms in the implementation of Vocational Training curricular
The Ministry of Education Science and Technology (MOEST) has been supporting our youth polytechnics (YP) trainees, boards of governor’s instructors through conditional grants since the devolution of the function. The funds have been channeled to individual YPs accounts. And it’s said that from July 2015 the funds may be channeled through county government and modalities are being worked upon.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE DIRECTORATE
- Construction of 26 workshops.
- Recruitment of the County Director
- Formation of Home Craft Centers Advisory Committee.
- The Youth Polytechnic Enterprise Bill is in the County Assembly for discussion.
PROPOSED PROJECTS IN FINANCIAL YEAR 2014/2015
- Township Workshop at Bomondo
- Nyamaiya Workshop at Mang’ong’o
- Bomwagamo Workshop at Etono
- Bonyamatuta Workshop at Mobamba
- Confirmation of instructors on contract & Government Grant
- Inadequate staffing
- Inadequate infrastructure
- Lack of modern training facilities
- Negative attitude towards vocational training
- Confirmation of instructors on contract & government grant
- Recruit more instructors
- Improve infrastructure
- Equip youth polytechnics with modern training tools and equipment
- Sensitize the public on the importance of Youth polytechnics on vocational training
AMARIBA VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER COUNTY FLAGSHIP PROJECT
KIOGUTWA VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER COUNTY FLAG-SHIP PROJECT
RITONGO VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER COMPLETED COUNTY FLAGSHIP PROJECT
COUNTY DIRECTOR VOCATIONAL EDUCATION & TRAINING: ENG. J M MECHA DURING THE INSPECTION OF THE FLAG-SHIP PROJECT
DIRECTOR ENG MECHA AT NYAIRANGA VOCATIONAL EDUCATION & TRAINING CENTER FINISHING WRITING THE INSPECTION REPORT
GREENHOUSE TOMATO PROJECT AT ST. STEPHEN EKERUBO GIETAI VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER
FASHION DESIGN AND GARMENT MAKING CLASS ON AT A VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER
HAIR DRESSING AND BEAUTY THERAPY CLASS IN SESSION IN ONE OF THE VOCATIONAL TRAINING CENTER