Education & ICT
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION & ICT
About Education & ICT department
There has been rapid expansion of education in terms of enrolment and infrastructure as a result of Free Primary Education (FPE) and Free Secondary Education (FSE). The County has five sub counties, namely Nyamira South, Nyamira North, Manga, Borabu and Masaba North. There are 406 Early Childhood Development Centers (ECDs) in the County. The total number of ECD teachers is in the first phase of recruitment is 406 making the teacher child ration to be 1:50. The sector comprises of 406 primary schools and184 secondary school.
The sector has four subsectors, namely:
1. Pre-Primary - ECDE
2. Home Craft Centers
3. Village Polytechnics
4. Child Care Centers
GENERAL FUNCTIONS OF THE OFFICE
• Policy and Legislation
• Early childhood education.
• Functional child protection system
• Technical, vocational and educational Training
Vision, Mission and Objectives
To be a lead County in the provision of education, technical skills and ICT for sustainable development.
To provide quality ICT integrated education and skills for innovation and development.
MANDATE, ROLES AND FUNCTIONS
The mandate of the Department is to manage education programmes at ECDE and Youth Polytechnics, Home Craft Centres and Child care facilities and ICT. It enables strengthening infrastructure, policy framework and capacity development in the County.
STRATEGIC ISSUES AND OBJECTIVES
The department is expected to develop strategic drivers and enablers to effectively achieve the County Social economic transformation priorities. The Mandatory drivers and enablers against which the department will be evaluated include:
(a) Develop appropriate Policy, Strategy and Regulatory Framework.
(b) Develop Infrastructural development for ECDE Centres, Youth Polytechnics, Home Craft centres and Child Care facilities
(c) Strengthening Curriculum implementation and Supervision.
(d) Improvement of human resource capacity
(e) Mobilizing resources and promoting efficiency
(f) Mainstreaming Governance HIV/AIDS and gender in Education and ICT
(g) Monitoring and evaluation in Education and ICT Sector
DEPARTMENTAL ACHIEVEMENTS, SUCCESSES AND BEST PRACTICES
A) Youth Polytechnics
1. Construction of classrooms in 26 Youth polytechnics is on-going.
2. Trainees who sat for NITA exams in the year July August series 2013/2014, 90% of them passed
3. New curriculum (NVCET) to be rolled out in youth polytechnics in Nyamira County
4. Capacity building of Youth polytechnic managers and BOG members.
5. Needs assessment for each village polytechnic done and reports made.
B) Early Childhood Development Education
1. Construction of 20 ECDE model classrooms is underway at a cost of 60M
2. Recruited and deployed 406 teachers in various primary schools
3. Tree planting in line with the greening of schools program was done.
4. Strategic plan for the devolved functions where ECDE is inclusive, to inform the development activities has been done.
C) Information Communication Technology
@ Procured desktops, 50 laptops, 30 IPADS, 40 smartphones, 3 heavy duty photocopy machines and 26 printers.
@ Created a website (http://www.nyamira.go.ke ).
@ Local Area network with 1 wireless connection points at Head office.
@ PABX Installation (Telephone extension)
@ Structural cabling done in Finance offices (LAN Connection and Point to Point Connection for IFMIS)
@ We now have email domain hosting nyamira.go.ke domain and all staff have official e-mail accounts
@ ICT budget in place
@ A strategic Plan in place
@ ICT policy in place
@ We have linkages and partnerships with ICT Authority, CCK, Computer Society of Kenya, Complitekenya (NGO)
1. Inadequate staffing
2. Inadequate infrastructure
3. Lack of modern training facilities
4. Negative attitude towards vocational training.
Early Childhood Development Education
1. Government nullification of ECDE recruitment and subsequent appeal by the Council of governors.
2. Limited resources to employ adequate number ECDE teachers.
3. Insufficient infrastructural facilities.
Information Communication Technology
@ Lack of an ICT culture among users of ICT resources
@ Departments handling ICT issues without authority from ICT department creating staff conflicts
@ Low budgetary allocation
1. Recruit more instructors
2. Improve infrastructure
3. Equip youth polytechnics with modern training tools and equipment
4. Sensitize the public on the importance of Youth polytechnics on vocational training
5. Confirm instructors on contract terms
Early Childhood Development Education
- Recruit more teachers
- Improve infrastructure by facilitating the construction of at least two more model classes in each ward.
- Capacity building for ECDE teachers and coordinators
- Recruitment of ECDE Ward Coordinators and Director
Information Communication Technology
• All on going ICT projects to align with the Kenya ICT Master Plan.
• Department of Education and ICT to launch a 5 year ICT Sectorial plan.
• Wide Area networks in the county and Sub County offices to be put up
• Stores Management System to be developed
• E – Revenue system to be developed.
• ICT related Baseline surveys to be carried out.
• ICT Policy to be continually up-dated
• ICT inventory Register to be created
• ICT stakeholder’s forums to be held regularly.
The Department is committed to offer Quality, accessible and equitable pre-primary education With the aim of improving enrollment rate in pre primary level nationally. We have energetic youth with the potential for reservoir in labor, building their skills will improve the current employment rates of 42%.
To achieve our commitments we want to offer our investors the opportunity to invest in the following key areas:
We will facilitate Construction and equipping 5 new ECD centers one per each sub county and county higher learning institutions(university & colleges) .
We will also renovate and equip the (406) existing ECD centers in the county. We also intent to partner with stake holders to provide pre primary school health and feeding programs for the Youth.
We have constructed 26 Polytechnic training centers and we also intend to construct one youth polytechnic and one home craft centre per sub county .
We will oversee Renovation and equipping the (29) existing polytechnics in the county
Investment Opportunities in Education and Technology
• Construction of ECDE centers and classrooms
• Construction of Polytechnics
• Construction of Home craft centres
• Rolling of E-learning platform in county secondary schools
ICT Investment Opportunities in Nyamira County
• ICT Infrastructure & ICT hubs
• ICT Training
• ICT Supplies & Support services
• ICT Systems for Business
• Public Private partnership (PPP)
• E-learning platform in schools
The National Fiber Internet Cable will be expanded to cover Schools, Offices, Police stations, etc
• This will ensure access to online services and enhanced communication
• Free Wi-Fi
• Infrastructure to be built in Nyamira Town & its sub counties
• To promote access to online services by citizens, businesses, investors, etc
ICT Training in Schools & Tertiary Colleges
• ICT hubs in schools
• Empowering citizens for online services, ICT jobs
• Providing opportunities to investors (supplies, support, etc)
• Computer Labs in Schools, with Internet connection
• Empowering our youth with relevant skills for jobs
• Empowering businesses in relation to ICT (cyber cafes)
• For use by the County Government & Businesses
• Local solutions to local problems (e.g., Land Management Systems and Business Permit Renewal Management System)
ICT supplies & Support Services
• Promoting business & jobs creation
• Empowering our youth through job creation
• Attracting ICT Investors